When George Michael passed away on December 25, 2016, the world came to know the extent of his charitable giving and philanthropy. Only after his death did stories of George’s generous charity givings emerged. While his generosity won widespread praise, many of his good deeds and spontaneous giving were done anonymously or under oaths of secrecy.
Below is a list of charities and foundations that George supported during his lifetime classified by the charity’s main focus. If you wish to donate to the charities George supported, click on the link to go directly to the charity’s website.
- Swan Lifeline = responsible for the rescuing, treatment, and release of swans in Berkshire and the surrounding area. George became a patron when one of the charity workers, a neighbor in Goring, saved one of his puppies (read story here)
- Mayhew Animal Home = helping thousands of dogs and cats to escape a life of abandonment, cruelty and neglect each year. George and his Symphonica crew auctioned on eBay a keepsake called the Dog Wall, a photo collage of their pets, with the proceeds benefiting the Mayhew Animal Home.
- Barnardo’s = focuses on UK’s most vulnerable children, such as issues like abuse, homelessness, disability, and poverty.
- ChildLine = helps children under 19 through counseling from abuse and bullying to exam stress and relationships
- Help a London Child = is Capital FM’s charity and it provides financial support to grassroot projects working with London’s less advantaged children and young people.
- Jubilee Action = actively engaged globally in supporting children at risk and families in need. In 2014, charity changed its name to Chance for Childhood.
- Rainbow Trust = provides practical and emotional support to families who have a child with a life-threatening or terminal illness.
- War Child = helps children affected by war, and advancing the cause of peace through investing hope in the lives of children caught up in the horrors of war.
- UK Thalassaemia Society = Formed by parents of children suffering from Thalassaemia, offers support, education, and counseling for persons with the blood disorder
- Marie Curie = provides care and support for people living with any terminal illness and their families.
- St John’s Hospice = providing support and care to anyone in central and North West London suffering from a terminal illness
- Sightsavers International = works to combat blindness in developing countries, restoring sight through specialist treatment and eye care.
- Rhys Daniels Trust = providing comfort and support for families who must travel to hospitals around the UK
- Red Cross = providing relief to victims of disasters and helping people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies
- Comic Relief = is a major UK charity, with a vision of a just world, free from poverty.
- Meals On Wheels = provide meal services to people in need.
- Children with AIDS Charity = was a national UK charity to help children infected or affected by HIV/AIDS maintain a good quality of life. It closed in 2014.
- Crusaid = a United Kingdom charity dedicated to helping poor and marginalized people affected by HIV and AIDS. Eventually absorbed by The Terrence Higgins Trust in 2011.
- Elton John AIDS Foundation = supports innovative HIV prevention programs, efforts to eliminate stigma and discrimination associated with HIV/AIDS, and direct care and support services for people living with HIV/AIDS.
- Positive Nation = UK’s HIV and sexual health magazine
- Project Angel Food = initially created in response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic, this US charity has expanded their mission to include the delivery free, nutritious meals to people suffering from serious illnesses.
- The Food Chain = ensures people living with HIV in London can access the nutrition they need to get well, stay well and lead healthy, independent lives.
- Terrence Higgins Trust = one of the first charities to be set up in response to the HIV epidemic
- Red Hot Organization = raising funds and awareness to fight AIDS through pop culture
- Gray Cancer Institute = research and development of many innovative cancer therapies. It was consolidated with Oxford Institute for Radiation Oncology in 2008.
- Macmillan Cancer Support = provides practical, medical, emotional, and financial support to cancer patients.
- Goss-Michael Foundation = founded by George Michael and his former partner Kenny Goss, it is dedicated to contributing to Dallas’ thriving artistic community and enhancing the public’s familiarity and interaction with mid- career and emerging British artists.
- Nottinghamshire Bereavement Trust = providing relief, education, and support in bereavement
- Outcome = North London’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender mental health drop-in offering support, advice, advocacy, counseling and complementary therapies
- Outline = a dedicated charity helping the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community in Surrey.
If you know of other charities and foundations that George supported but are not on this list, please contact us.
- George Michael in Luciano Pavarotti’s Charity Concert (2000)
- Stand By Me: AIDS Day Benefit Live at Wembley (1987)
- George Michael Interview in Record Mirror (1987)
- Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert for AIDS Awareness (1992)
- Frank Sinatra Letter to George Michael