Just when you thought you couldn’t love George Michael any deeper, you come across another story of how deeply he cares for his fans.
Brandon Brockwell posted this story in the Facebook group GM Lovelies about George Michael (reprinted with permission from both Brandon and GM Lovelies group):
Hi everyone I just wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. And I also wanted to share a little story about George.
Unfortunately one of my mother’s friends passed away of cancer some years ago now, she was a massive Wham!/George fan and we managed to get in touch with George as knowing how lovely he was we thought he might reach out to her given the circumstances.
Sadly her cancer rapidly increased and she passed away very shortly after we had arranged for them to call each other on a set date.
George must have been feeling guilty about not ever getting the chance to speak to her. Totally independently and unbeknown to us the man himself found out what funeral directors were planning the funeral and when we arrived this was placed next to her coffin.
There was not a dry eye in the room and since his passing, this story just means so much more to everybody who knew her. Such a beautiful caring man, thinking of his poor father Jack at this very difficult time of year for the family. I have included pictures of the flowers …
- George Michael Interview with Capital FM Radio with Dr. Fox (Dec 1998)
- A Year in the Life of Wham! as Told by George Michael (Smash Hits Yearbook, 1986)
- George Michael’s Interview with the Gay Magazine ‘The Advocate’ (1999)
- An Audience with George Michael: Interview with Chris Evans (1996)
- George Michael on Beating Drugs, Depression and His Outing in LA (GQ Magazine, 2004)