In dealing with anxiety, there is one place that George considered his safe haven …
PM: The Symphonica tour is back. Are you going to be touring the States as well? Because a lot of people have been asking if you’re going to be touring the States.
GM: Um, I’m hopefully going to be touring the States early next year. I’ve got to get these shows done and an Australian tour done, and I think, you know, God willing, I shall be in America at some point early next year to start the whole process. It all takes so long to set up, you know!
PM: I’m amazed you’re doing it so soon.
GM: Yeah, like I said, I was supposed to take it easy but I just couldn’t. I was dealing with a lot of anxiety and the only way to distract myself, if there’s anything that distracts me from everything, it’s music. It’s the safest place in the world for me, the recording studio. You have to focus on every tiny detail. So there’s no room for you to you know to sit there worrying about your life – unlike a lot of nine to five jobs where there’s of time for anxiety.
- George Michael’s Interview by Phil Marriot on Health Recovery, Symphonica and White Light (2012)
- George Michael Interview on Q Magazine (June 1988)
- George Michael Interview in Blitz Magazine (June 1988)
- An Audience with George Michael: Interview with Chris Evans (1996)
- George Michael in Q Magazine Interview (October 1990)