George Michael was pop’s greatest survivor. He has been UK radio’s most-played artist over the last 35 years and the superstar behind the legendary 1980s Faith album and tour. He was a musician with international credibility—and a disaster magnet whose serial scandals never seemed to dent his professional reputation.
This searching biography throws a light on Georgios Panayiotou, the Anglo-Greek London boy who had to hide his homosexuality when he was half of the pop phenomenon Wham! before becoming a global superstar and publicly claiming his identity.
In Careless Whispers, author Robert Steele details every step of the conflicted superstar’s career and digs deep into his closely guarded private life. Drawing on firsthand accounts from Michael’s ex-manager and the journalist who was part of his social circle in the 1980s, Careless Whispers examines in detail the life, work, and tragic final act of a much-loved icon.
- Hardcover: 448 pages
- Publisher: Omnibus Press; Second edition edition (January 31, 2019)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9781785585999
- ISBN-13: 978-1785585999
- ASIN: 1785585991
- George Michael Interview with Capital FM Radio with Dr. Fox (Dec 1998)
- Wham! Interview in Miami During the ‘Careless Whisper’ Filming (1984)
- George Michael’s Oprah Winfrey Show Interview (2004)
- George Michael on Beating Drugs, Depression and His Outing in LA (GQ Magazine, 2004)
- George Michael Interview on Q Magazine (December 1998)