MG: Because you were too busy achieving it maybe?
GM: Because I was so busy working. But I’ll give you an example of the kind of confidence that I had, ludicrous confidence for a child, for a 19 year old: everybody told me that Wham! couldn’t play stadiums in America, they said it would be humiliating for us, a pop band had never done that…
MG: Playing in stadiums was exclusively for rock bands.
GM: … and you can put ‘pop’ in it. I said to Simon Napier-Bell and Jazz Summers, “Look, we’ve had three number ones in completely different categories. We’d had ‘Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go,’ ‘Careless Whisper’ and then ‘Everything She Wants’ — all number ones and different markets almost. I remember the American promoter trying to say to me, “I don’t really think we should be going for arenas, you’ve only been successful in America for 6 months,” and I said, “Just put one on sale and see what happens.” And it went “bang.” a stadium full like that. But that wasn’t that remarkable to me, I got so used to feeling like a smart arse. It’s not that I don’t believe now, I just know that life isn’t that lucky most of the time, things don’t fall into place like that, that much of the time. So now I look back and think, “I can’t believe you had the guts to do that.”
- Faith: Looking Back – Mark Goodier Interview with George Michael (2010)
- An Audience with George Michael: Interview with Chris Evans (1996)
- George Michael Interview with Capital FM Radio with Dr. Fox (Dec 1998)
- George Michael Interview in Blitz Magazine (June 1988)
- A Year in the Life of Wham! as Told by George Michael (Smash Hits Yearbook, 1986)