In the interview with Out Magazine in October 2012, Phil Marriott asked George Michael about the “Outside” video. George then related the story of how the idea for disco urinals came about:
PM: I’ll never forget seeing that [‘Outside’ video] for the first time because I thought you were so brave during that whole time, to actually do it in such a tongue and cheek way.
GM: Can I tell you how it happened? I had already made ‘Fast Love’ and ‘Spinning the Wheel’ with two genius video directors. They were a business couple, a working couple called Anthea and Von – they stopped working together — and Von came to LA because he wanted to make something for ‘Outside” and he sat with me looking very nervous, and I couldn’t work out why, and after about half an hour he said, “Can I be really honest with you?” And I said, “Yeah, of course you can,’ and he said, “Can we do it in a toilet?” So I sat and looked at him and it took me about 10 seconds to say, “Yes but it’s got to be a disco toilet’, and that’s basically as simple as it was, you know, and then I immediately had the idea of the revolving urinals and everything, which is probably my favorite three seconds of any video I’ve ever made.
PM: Did you ever think that was a bad thing to do though? Did you ever consider at the back of your mind that it would go horribly wrong?
GM: No, I didn’t think it would go wrong. I thought if it’s funny enough and if the record is good enough … then you can get away with murder!
- George Michael’s Interview by Phil Marriot on Health Recovery, Symphonica and White Light (2012)
- Q Magazine: George Michael The Only Interview (December 1998)
- An Audience with George Michael: Interview with Chris Evans (1996)
- George Michael’s Interview with the Gay Magazine ‘The Advocate’ (1999)
- George Michael Interview with Capital FM Radio with Dr. Fox (Dec 1998)