Within musicians’ circles, although they will begrudgingly admit that he can write a good tune, George Michael isn’t very popular. This could be because he never served a traditional musical apprenticeship. It could, of course, also be that they are extremely jealous.
“I think people, musicians especially, are jealous,” he says. “I think mostly people are jealous in that it’s all gone too well. Too smoothly. No fuck ups. I often think if there was one major, obvious chink in the armour that people could see it would be easier for me. People consider what I’ve done to be too inhuman. The most unfortunate part of that is that I think I’ve written and sung some of the most human songs I’ve heard on the radio in the last couple of years. But when you do all the other stuff as neatly as I’ve done it, it can actually detract from the human element of the songs.”
- George Michael: The Lone Star State Interview on Q Magazine (June 1988)
- George Michael and His Songwriting
- George Michael Interview with Capital FM Radio with Dr. Fox (Dec 1998)
- An Audience with George Michael: Interview with Chris Evans (1996)
- Q Magazine: George Michael The Only Interview (December 1998)