In 2007, George Michael took the John Lennon upright piano that he bought for £1.5m on a peace tour in America. The piano where John Lennon wrote his song “Imagine” was brought to several places where extreme acts of violence had taken place.
George Michael explained the thinking behind the Imagine Piano Peace Tour, which was his brainchild together with then-partner Kenny Goss:
“By taking the piano to all these sites, we are reminded that violence has long been a part of our history,” Michael said.
Photographer Caroline True organized the Imagine Piano Tour. Today, Kenny Goss posted on Instagram a number of images and some commentary from the 2007 Imagine Piano Tour:
- George Michael and John Lennon’s Imagine Piano: Tracking the Journey through News Clippings
- George Michael’s Oprah Winfrey Show Interview (2004)
- George Michael on the John Lennon Piano (People Magazine, 2000)
- George Michael Interview in New Musical Express (NME, 28 June 1986)
- George Michael on Beating Drugs, Depression and His Outing in LA (GQ Magazine, 2004)