George Michael’s final work was the autobiographical documentary “Freedom,” filmed before his untimely passing. The documentary is narrated by the singer, and tells the dramatic story of the making of Listen Without Prejudice Vol 1, the court case which followed and George’s personal struggle and pain as he loses his first love Anselmo Feleppa.
The documentary contained confessional audio interviews, music videos and live footage. It premiered on Channel 4 television in the United Kingdom on October 16, 2017. The documentary was also shown on television in other countries, as follows
- UK: 16 October 2017
- USA: 21 October 2017
- Belgium: 26 October 2017
- Finland: 27 October 2017
- Netherlands: 24 December 2017
- Sweden: 27 December 2017
The documentary was then re-edited and lengthened considerably through the addition of previously unseen footage. The new version, “George Michael: Freedom – Director’s Cut” was then screened at a number of international film festivals, including documentary film festivals as well as the world’s leading LGBTQ festivals.
It made its global premiere in the Documentary Edge Film Festival in Auckland, New Zealand on May 13, 2018. It was first shown in the United Kingdom at the Edinburgh International Film Festival on June 25, 2018.
Here is a list of film festivals where the documentary was shown:
- George Michael and John Lennon’s Imagine Piano: Tracking the Journey through News Clippings
- Wham! In China (Part 1), Smash Hits Magazine (1985)
- A Year in the Life of Wham! as Told by George Michael (Smash Hits Yearbook, 1986)
- When George Michael Produced a Documentary on Gay Teens
- Wham!’s Last Christmas: List of Cover Versions